How To Save For A Mortgage Down Payment

No Comments

Gone are the days when you have to allocate a very huge amount of cash in order to purchase the property you have always wanted. Now, in the Canadian mortgage scene, you can potentially buy the property within a certain percentage of down payment, which is often five percent. When this is the case, however, you will be required to have mortgage default insurance which then brings you back to just settling for more than the 20% down payment for the property.

This is called the conventional mortgage or one where you are expected to pay at least 20% of the property’s value as down payment with the remaining 80% or less financed through a lender. This will then be the Loan to Value ratio of your property. Always remember that the higher the contribution you make, the lesser the mortgage loan amount you will pay over time. Whichever the case, whether you choose a 5% or more than 20% down payment, you might as well consider learning how to save for that amount.

Save your funds in an account

save funds

Saving for the down payment is perhaps the most practical way with which you can get that dream home of yours. It will take time to save this amount if you do not learn how to choose the right account with which you should save those funds. It is recommended that you have an account that guarantees you will gain interest on your savings. Mutual funds, term investments or a Canadian Tax-Free Savings account can be a good start. You may also want to invest with a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP).

If you are lucky enough, you can also use the cash gifts given by your friends and loved ones. You can save the same in any of the funds mentioned above so that when the time comes and you are ready to make an investment, there is something you can use to finance your down payment.

Secure mortgage default insurance

If in case you have not saved the 20% down payment but you have at least 5% savings to finance the down payment for your dream home then you are good to go provided you have secured mortgage default insurance. You can look for the best suppliers of such insurance in Canada. This insurance is a licence for you to obtain the nod of the lender since there is something he can ran after in case you default on your payment. Do not mistake this with the regular homeowner insurance that protect homeowners from property damages.

Pay the insurance accordingly

You have choices when it comes to paying the mortgage default insurance. First, you can pay it on a lump sum basis right at that instant when you have closed the mortgage deal with the lender. If you do not have enough money to pay it lump sum, however, you can go for option number 2, that is, to pay the insurance over time in addition to your monthly mortgage amortisation.

It will be wise to compare mortgage rates to save you more in terms of your total investment later on. Feel free to compare rates via this website!

Categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *